My most embarrassing moment as a Steelers' fan



In the 1970s, my brother and I attended a Pittsburgh Steelers game against the Cincinnati Bengals. I think that the season was 1977 based on the final score, but I am not certain.

Here is what I do remember -- clearly. The starting time was pushed back to 4 p.m. to give them a national audience, so it was a big game. At that time, they had few 4 p.m. games.

At that point, the Steelers had already won two Super Bowls, so the roots of Steeler Nation had started to take hold.

Event that precipitated this

However, in this game, Terry Bradshaw was sacked and lay motionless on the turf. Three Rivers Stadium was suddenly hushed.

Except for a group of three or four rowdy Steeler "fans." These guys jumped up and down and cheered when Bradshaw went down. They continued as he lay motionless on the turf.

My brother and I -- along with many Steeler fans in that area of the stadium -- were appalled. How could true Steeler fans be cheering an injury to the QB who had led us to two Super Bowl wins? How can you possibly be happy when a member of your team is hurt? What was wrong with these guys?

Frustation does not justify that 

Conclusion: They were not true Steeler fans. Yes, I was frustrated with Terry that year. If I remember correctly, some media commentators thought that maybe he needed glasses because he was consistently missing wide open Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

Terry was, however, our QB, and if we were going to return to the Super Bowl, it would be on his arm. The defense could do only so much.

Of course, he did lead the Steelers to two more Super Bowl wins and earned MVP honors in both of those games.

Nevertheless, I was embarrassed that those "fans" were wearing Steeler jackets and other regalia. It was disgusting.

Never

Certainly, I have been upset at other Steeler QBs over the years. Kordell Stewart comes to mind.

Never, however, did I hope that Stewart was hurt in a game. Never did I cheer if he or Cliff Stoudt or Bubby Brister or any other QB went down.

True Steeler fans do not do that. True fans of any team do not do that.

That, indeed, was the moment when I was most embarrassed to be a Steelers fan, and though it was momentary, I still remember it about four decades later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Chet Beres, M.D., the quarterback who gave of himself to so many people: Some Lilly Raiders who will not be with us on Saturday

Why did Tennessee-Chattanooga hire trainer Tim Bream despite his role in the alcohol-induced death of Tim Piazza at a Penn State frat?

Remembering the toughest loss I ever experienced in approximately a quarter-century of coaching football. George Pasierb was a great coaching adversary.