Darrelle Revis says he would love to play with Steelers



… should they pursue him? 

The charges filed by two young men who stalked NFL defensive back Darrelle Revis on the South Side in Pittsburgh earlier this year were dismissed by a district magistrate on Wednesday, but the damage was done.

The New York Jets had already cut him, putting him on the free market. The criminal charges were not the major factor -- a huge contract was more instrumental.

Love to play in Pittsburgh

When the NFL Network asked Revis after the hearing if he would be interested in playing for the Steelers, the cornerback said this, "That would be great,” the former Alliquippa and Pitt Panther star said. “As a child I watched the Steelers play, went to a few games as a young child, I played here in high school and college, so to play here professionally would be awesome too. So, we’ll see. Hopefully we’ll have a conversation with the Steelers.”

Revis had a tough season with the Jets last year, both individually and as a team. He was a first-round pick by the Jets in 2007 and played for them until 2012. He played for a year in Tampa Bay and one in New England until the Jets signed him to five-year, $70 million contract in 2014.

In 2015, Revis had another outstanding season, making the Pro Bowl for the seventh time and being ranked as the 24th top player in the league. He recorded 39 tackles and made five interceptions that year.

Last year, however, his numbers really changed. His previous opposing quarterback rating ballooned from 59 to 91 and he picked off only one pass all year.

The Jets released him on March 9.

Ready for 2017

Revis told the NFL Network that he is ready to play. "I’m 10 pounds lighter than I was last year at this time so I’m really hammering that,” he said. “The hunger is definitely there, just passion and love for the game, and I’m excited. I’m excited for this upcoming season. I just had to put this past me and now I can really focus on what team I can fit with, the best system and team and coaches.”

Will that be in Pittsburgh?

“I want to go where I’m wanted at the end of the day,” Revis said. “This is where I’m from, I’m proud to be from here, proud to be a citizen of Pittsburgh.”

Steelers should give him a shot, if …

The Steelers could use him, despite his poor year last season. They really need help in the defensive backfield, and they could use his experience and his knowledge, which would be great with the younger players.

The challenge will be coming together on money. The Steelers are already having salary cap issues with the Brown contract numbers, so it may not work.

It would be nice to see if it could, though.

Revis Island was a great place for a long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Chet Beres, M.D., the quarterback who gave of himself to so many people: Some Lilly Raiders who will not be with us on Saturday

Why did Tennessee-Chattanooga hire trainer Tim Bream despite his role in the alcohol-induced death of Tim Piazza at a Penn State frat?

Remembering the toughest loss I ever experienced in approximately a quarter-century of coaching football. George Pasierb was a great coaching adversary.