America needs our sports to return, not necessarily just the pro ones featuring ego-centric multi-millionaires, but those at the high school, college, and even little league levels

Photo: MVP sports pix

… the distraction of sports may help allay our animus right now, 
though not everyone agrees

In reality, I wish that I could say that I am really looking forward to the return of the Pittsburgh Steelers, an NFL team that I have followed for approximately the past 65 years. 

The truth is that I am not excited by their return, but what I would like to see is the return of young people to their competition. This includes athletes from grade school years to high school and even to college. 

Why? I think that the return of these athletes, some of whom are now playing at least a little, would be a great distraction from what is transpiring in our country. 

I am not positing that forgetting about the dangers and devastation of the coronavirus or anything else is something that is absolutely desirable. We cannot let go of those problems. 

However, by watching sports, Americans are able to focus on the more enjoyable aspects of life, if even for just a while. 

Pro athletes often disgust me, but returning could be good

The selfishness and idiocy of many professional athletes means that I watch much less of them than I used to. However, last year I spent some money paying for different ways to access the Steelers’ games. Not sure I will do that, but it was a diversion. Just that. 

And right now, all of us need diversions, not to ignore the travail of the world, but just to remember what it was like to root for teams in the past. Diversions can be good, and for that reason, I look forward to the return of Major League Baseball, even without fans. 

People can then look at their local channels or ESPN and others instead of the news outlets. 

Maybe even those who are not sports fans would like to see that. Maybe some of the animus and anger out there would dissipate … though it is going to remain to some extent. 

Not trying to eliminate problems, but just trying to find some entertainment that does not involve verbal jousting. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Chet Beres, M.D., the quarterback who gave of himself to so many people: Some Lilly Raiders who will not be with us on Saturday

Why did Tennessee-Chattanooga hire trainer Tim Bream despite his role in the alcohol-induced death of Tim Piazza at a Penn State frat?

Remembering the toughest loss I ever experienced in approximately a quarter-century of coaching football. George Pasierb was a great coaching adversary.