Should young boys play football?



... today, I would have reservations


My first coaching job was with the Lilly Raiders, a gig that was supposed to last two weeks and ended four years later when I finished college.

These guys were from fifth through eighth grades, and we even went down to fourth because so many kids wanted to be part of the program.

Success

The Raiders went undefeated for three years, winning three championships of the Cambria County Grade School Football League. It was a great time.

I later coached the Raiders for four more years, with two more championships but no undefeated seasons. Later, I also coached at the high school and collegiate levels. I enjoyed both the down years and the championship ones (6).

Playing in the 21st Century

If I had a choice today, i would not coach young boys in those years. I would, however, encourage them to play touch football. I did that in my 20s and in college on IM teams. It was great fun.

The concussions fear is what bothers me today. I know of a few players who have played for me and had more than one concussion. I think of them today and hope that they may not suffer any damages today or in the future.

After reading a great deal about concussions causing not just dementia but other diseases like Lou Gehrig's (ALS), that sport is just too dangerous for young kids. Some physicians are encouraging the elimination of contact football leagues under Grade 9.

I still love the game, but I have reservations about whether or not we should be playing such a dangerous sport.

For me, fortunately, I have had many injuries -- knee surgery, separated shoulder, hip pointer, ankle injuries -- but never a concussion.

I feel sorry for great players like Troy Polamalu who has suffered through many concussions. I read what Antwan Randle-El wrote about the challenges in his life at just 37 years of age, and that affects my opinion. And then there was Mike Webster, a very sad case.

Parents will continue to allow young kids to play football, but if I had a child today, I would encourage him to play golf, baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer, run track -- all of those are much safer than football.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Chet Beres, M.D., the quarterback who gave of himself to so many people: Some Lilly Raiders who will not be with us on Saturday

Why did Tennessee-Chattanooga hire trainer Tim Bream despite his role in the alcohol-induced death of Tim Piazza at a Penn State frat?

Remembering the toughest loss I ever experienced in approximately a quarter-century of coaching football. George Pasierb was a great coaching adversary.