Terry and Ben, the "love saga" continues




… calls retirement comment a "pity" move 

During his career, Terry Bradshaw had his share of concussions. They have not prevented him from speaking his mind, however, even as he advances to the age of 70.

What I like about Terry is that he says what he thinks, no matter how outrageous his comments may be. Too many commentators are afraid of hurting the feelings of important people.

Not Terry.

Last year, he made waves and angered many Steeler fans when he said that Mike Tomlin was a good coach, but not a great one. Tomlin's team's performance against the New England Patriots illustrated that Terry was right.

Tomlin = good coach who wins lots of games, but not in great category like Bill Bellichick who reaches and wins lots of Super Bowls.

Advantage, Terry.

Comments about Ben

Now in Super Bowl week, Terry was asked about a Steeler player, one whom he had called the best QB in the NFL last year.

Reporters asked Bradshaw about Roethlisberger saying that he was thinking about retiring. Terry said, "When he said that, I thought that it was the pity move."

He explained further, “If Ben was sitting right here, I’d say ‘Ben, why’d you say it? Don’t say that. It gets blown out of proportion. You make the organization uncomfortable. I wouldn’t have said that. Keep that quiet.

“Who’s he sending a message to? Coach? I’m already in enough trouble with that coach!”

Was the move by Ben one for pity?

What Roethlisberger's motivation was in saying after the embarrassing 19-point loss to the Patriots that he was thinking of retiring is difficult to ascertain. He did come across as being somewhat petulant, angry, arrogant. "I am going to take my football and go home."

Most people did not believe him since he would lose a slew of money. So, Terry's comment about him seeking pity from Steeler fans may have been accurate.

Not right being dismissive of Brady

Even after Brady dissected the Steelers, how Bradshaw could still say that Ben is in the same class as Brady is perhaps an example of his concussion kicking in. He apparently wants to mend fences with Ben, but as a person in the media, he should not let that prevent him from being realistic.

This quote is simply silly: “Ben and I have had our moments, but I’ve said this — if I could take one player today and build my team around, it’d be him.”

If I have one player to build my team around today, it would be Tom Brady, despite his age -- and I really dislike the guy. He is still the best in the NFL by far.

Still, I hope that Matt Ryan wins his first Super Bowl on Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Chet Beres, M.D., the quarterback who gave of himself to so many people: Some Lilly Raiders who will not be with us on Saturday

Why did Tennessee-Chattanooga hire trainer Tim Bream despite his role in the alcohol-induced death of Tim Piazza at a Penn State frat?

Remembering the toughest loss I ever experienced in approximately a quarter-century of coaching football. George Pasierb was a great coaching adversary.